- From 2018 all applications can only be submitted via the online portal once the call is open.
- Please use the "Apply now" button at the bottom of each programme page to start your application once the call is open.
- Both the opening and closing dates will be mentioned on each individual programme page.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply for the preliminary acceptance letter as early as possible, even before the opening date of the call. Keeping in mind that only Acceptance letters dated the same year as the year of application are eligible.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
- Click the links below to get an overview of all fellowship opportunities, both for postgraduates wishing to earn a PhD (PhD fellowships), and for those candidates interested in postdoctoral fellowships.
TWAS research grants fund several programmes that support:
- • Researchers in developing countries, allowing them to purchase specialized equipment and consumable supplies, and
- • Support Master of Science students.
The calls for 2021 TWAS Research Grants in Basic Sciences—one for individuals and one for groups—are currently open. The links to apply online will no longer be active once the two call close, on 14 April, at 11.59 p.m., Rome time.
TWAS offers financial assistance to the organizers of international and regional scientific conferences, workshops, symposia and special meetings in the developing world.